An increasingly popular alternative to a silver amalgam filling is a composite white filling. Unlike an amalgam fillings, a composite filling is virtually invisible and our team can shade it according to the color of your teeth to create a perfect match, giving you a beautiful, silver-less smile! Unlike an Amalgam, a composite does not contain any mercury.
Benefits of Composite White Fillings
- Created to match your tooth to ensure a natural look and feel
- Because composite fillings can be created in smaller preparations, less of your tooth structure is lost and less drilling is needed
- The material is made from acrylic and glass particles, containing no mercury or other metals
- Provides support to remaining tooth structure, and insulates against temperature changes
The Filling Process
- First, the decayed tooth is drilled to remove the cavity. You would be given freezing so that the process is comfortable and painless. Often a rubber dam is place to control the moisture to achieve a better bond and also to protect your cheek and tongue.
- Next, a bonding agent is applied to the drilled tooth to “bond” the composite to the tooth. Composites bond best to enamel.
- The composite material is placed, condensed into the tooth and molded to your tooth structure. The composite can be sculpted to create a life-like filling that matches with the anatomy of your tooth
- The material is hardened by focusing intense light rays on it for about a minute
- The filling is now complete and you have a bright, natural-looking new tooth! The bite is checked with a blue articulation paper to fine tune your bite.
Your filling’s colour and brightness can be maintained by simply practicing good oral hygiene and avoiding staining food and drinks such as coffee, soda, tea, etc.